The program allows emerging and growing entrepreneurs as well as established local brands to test the Downtown Tulsa market through affordable short-term leases for the use of designated Downtown Tulsa storefronts for the 2022 holiday season. The program also seeks to activate Downtown Tulsa through increased foot traffic and expanded diversity of shopping experiences during the holiday season.
Retailers will be selected through an application process based on concept viability, product quality, product diversity, and overall fit of the product offerings. Retailers also will be selected based on their ability to fulfill the requirements of the program outlined below and their alignment with Downtown Tulsa Partnership’s strategic goal to “foster a prosperous Downtown through investments and resources that seek to benefit all Tulsans.”
What will the program do?
- Enhance the festive holiday atmosphere of Downtown and generate more shopping visits to Downtown Tulsa.
- Enhance the retail core of Downtown with new products and exposure to new retail experiences.
- Reduce the visual impact of empty storefronts in the Downtown Tulsa.
- Offer a low-cost option for businesses to test new ideas and/or reach new customers.
- Assist newer retail stores in growing their businesses and learning the fundamentals of operating a brick-and-mortar location.
- Provide insights to Downtown Tulsa Partnership on the health of the retail market.
Who is encouraged to apply?
- Retail brands with the ability to absorb 500 - 2,000 square feet of retail space in their own brick-and-mortar store.
- Retail brands that can partner with other brands, if needed, to absorb 500 - 2,000 square feet of a shared retail space.
- Retail brands looking to establish a future presence in the market, even if the available space and sizing is not a fit at this point in time, or the concept is too early for the 2022 season. Future pop-up opportunities as well as site selection services may be offered to these applicants.
Where will the shops be located?
For the program’s pilot year, shop spaces are concentrated in the Deco District in Downtown. Specific locations will be discussed during the application and interview stage.
What are the dates for this year’s program?
Pop-up shops will be available for lease from November 18th, 2022 - January 15th 2023.
What types of business is this program designed to attract?
Pop-ups should be complementary to the overall mix of Downtown’s existing retail while providing fresh offerings designed to increase foot traffic and drive more shoppers to Downtown.
When is the application deadline?
The deadline to apply is 5 PM on November 7th, 2022.
When will decisions on selected shops be made?
The selection committee will inform accepted merchants no later than November 14th, 2022. Agreements will be made available and commitments must be signed within two weeks of selection no later than November 28th, 2022.
Are there required hours of operation?
Applicants will identify their proposed hours of operation on the application. In order to maximize lunchtime traffic, weekday office shoppers, weekend family visitors and Sunday parishioners, selected retailers are suggested to be open the following hours:
- 11 AM - 6 PM, Wednesday-Thursday
- 10 AM - 8 PM, Friday-Saturday
- 11 AM - 5 PM, Sunday
Stores are permitted to be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day, and any other holidays, though not required. Stores are encouraged to stay open later, if desired, on Fridays and Saturdays, Black Friday (11/25), Small Business Saturday (11/26), and Christmas Eve.
What are the legal requirements?
Participants will enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the property owner for the duration of the holiday season no earlier than November 18th and no later than November 28th, 2022, through January 15th, 2023, which stipulates the terms of the short-term space use requirements and wherein they agree to return the space to its original condition or an improved condition. Participants shall comply with requirements as stipulated by the building owner on their individual MOU, as well as any licensing requirements that their business may require including sales tax permit from the .Oklahoma Tax Commission.
Will I receive marketing support?
Yes! While you should market your store independently, your efforts will be amplified by ours. Downtown Tulsa Partnership will promote the Holiday Pop-Up Shops, as well as existing downtown retail, in our holiday promotional materials, our newsletter, ads, storefront window clings and social media. We want this program to work for you and grow your business, and we will have our branding and marketing team available to support your advertising efforts as best we can!
Each shop will also have seasonal decorations on the façade and windows of the spaces to differentiate the space as an official “Downtown Days of Wonder Pop-Up Shop,” including window decals, clings, and holiday lighting. As a participant, you are responsible for any signage that is unique to your business and brand. Limited support is available for selected participants that need financial support in printing display or branded materials that will help market your business, products, and brand.
Are there any other requirements?
Downtown Tulsa Partnership requires participating retailers to agree to supply weekly gross sales data at the end of the program as well as complete a brief program quality survey. This is to allow staff to assess the program’s success and continuation, as well as have a better understanding of the urban retail environment. The data received will be kept confidential and only communicated in aggregate.
When can I have access to the space to set up?
Retail vendors will be able to access the space as soon as a lease has been signed and a move-in date agreed upon with the property owner. Participants will have access to their space no later than November 28th, 2022, if all paperwork is completed. The deadline for lease signing and insurance validation is November 28th, 2022.
When do I need to vacate the space?
January 15th, 2023 – any and all supplies, materials, alterations are to be removed from the space and all copies of keys returned to Downtown Tulsa Partnership.
Can I operate a space with other businesses?
Yes! If you don’t feel ready to take on a 500- to 2,000-square-foot commercial space, you can apply with other business owners to the program. You will need to identify those businesses and their owners’ names on your individual application. Every business seeking to utilize the space will need to fill out their own application, and sign their own MOU.
What criteria will the selection committee consider when reviewing my application?
- The appeal of how the product(s) add to the overall mix for holiday shoppers.
- How well the proposed concept works in synergy with current full-time tenants.
- The ability to add excitement to the festive holiday atmosphere through in-store events, social media and promotion.
- The quality of the overall aesthetic and design.
- The store’s ability to occupy available spaces.
For Questions or More Information
Interested applicants are advised and welcome to contact us for more information. Contact Emily Scott at email@example.com or 843-345-8754, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.